ARCHIVED Sixth Form Japan Week 2020
Tuesday 1 December 2020 to Friday 4 December 2020
Live Session 1
Tuesday 1 December 2020 – 12.30pm to 3.30pm (GMT)
Live Session 2
Friday 4 December 2020 – 9.00am to 12.15pm (GMT)
*Attendees can sign up for one or both live sessions.
Online via Zoom
Registration Required. Open to all Sixth Form students free of charge.
Booking deadline: Wednesday 25 November 2020
The Japan Society, in association with Ritsumeikan University (UK Office), is delighted to once again invite Sixth Form students to join us at our annual Sixth Form Japan event to explore and learn more about Japan. The event is designed to give an insight into aspects of Japan, traditional and modern, through lectures, talks, demonstrations, and workshops.
This year the event goes online, offering a mix of live sessions and specially created "on-demand" content over four days.
The event will feature:
- Two Live Sessions
- University Student Panel with Q&A
- Careers Panel with Q&A
- Workshops, Demonstrations and Lectures with Experts
- Pre-Recorded Content and Other “On-Demand” Materials
The live sessions will take place on the first and last day and the pre-recorded video content and other resource materials will be released in between. They will also be available for a limited time after Japan Week.
The event is open to all sixth form students with an interest in Japan, but those who are considering Japanese Studies at university and/or studying in Japan will find it particularly beneficial.
Click here to see information and a short video from the previous Sixth Form Japan Day.
Lectures, Workshops, and Panel Discussions
The live events on the first and last day will feature sessions from Ritsumeikan University, Japan Foundation London, and Japanese artists, as well as discussion panels with professionals and university students.
Live Session 1 - Tuesday 1 December 2020 - 12.30pm to 3.30pm
- Kamishibai workshop with Aya Nakamura
- Career Panel: How Japan Shaped My Career, with Julie Rogers, Michael Rivera King, and Francesca Le Lohé
- Japanese language workshop with Japan Foundation, London
Live Session 2 - Friday 4 December 2020 - 9.00am to 12.15pm
- Lecture with Ritsumeikan University
- Students Panel: The Students Experience, with current and recently graduated students from universities in UK
- Tsugaru Shamisen and Traditional Japanese Min'yo with HIBIKI x AKARI
- Manga Worshop with Chie Kutsuwada
Pre-recorded content, covering arts and culture, careers, and science/tech, as well as interviews with universities will also be available online from Day 2 (Wednesday 2 December).
Participation in Live Sessions
Zoom links will be sent in advance of the live sessions to attendees. Attendees can watch collectively or individually. Access to a webcam, microphone, or special equipment will not be a requirement for the majority of sessions. Attendees will be notified in advance if they need particular equipment.
Students who are not able to attend the live sessions are still encouraged to take part and should register a place to access non-live content.
Registration now open. Booking deadline: Wednesday 25 November 2020.
To register your place, please complete one of the booking forms below:
For more information, please contact the Japan Society at email@example.com.
- Places will be issued on a first-come-first served basis. Students may attend on their own or together as a class with a teacher.
- Registration is required for both live and pre-recorded contents.
- Attendees can sign up for one or both live sessions.
Feedback from Sixth Form Japan Day 2019
- “Thank you for the day! It was good that the workshop topics were varied for different people's interests.” Student, Sydenham High School
- “Enjoyable lectures with useful information for career paths and placement opportunities.” Student, Thomas Hardye School
- “Very interesting talks and engaging workshops. Wish the event was longer.” Student, Tonbridge Grammar School
- “I enjoyed it a lot. I really liked learning the new things about Japan and making friends.“ Student, Luton Sixth Form College