The Japan Youth Collective is a new initiative for 16-19 year olds interested in Japan. Members of the Collective will work with the Japan Society over 8 months to discover more about Japan, meet new people, learn new skills and work on a final event to inspire others.
Want to find out more about the Collective? The 2023/24 Collective keeps a record of their activities each month on their blog - check it out!
What is the Japan Youth Collective?
The Collective is a space for young people to get together and explore their interest in Japan! You'll have the opportunity to meet new people and make friends, work with Japan-related professionals and experts in a variety of fields and develop useful skills for the future. It's run by the Japan Society and hosted at Japan House London. Apply to be a member!
Working with the team, you will shape the agenda and focus of the sessions - whatever your interest in Japan, we want to help you find out more!
Who is the Japan Youth Collective for?
We're looking for members who:
- Are 16-19 years old and live in London or the Greater London area
- Are interested in Japan and keen to learn more
- Have limited opportunities to learn about Japan on their own
One of the Collective's core aims is to open up Japan-related activities to a wider audience, so we will prioritise applications from those who don't have alternative opportunities to learn about Japan. Check out the FAQs for more details.
Why Apply to be a Member?
There are lots of benefits to joining the Japan Youth Collective, including:
- Meet new people and make friends
- Discover more about Japan
- Work with experts and professionals
- Develop key skills and experience for your future
- Have your say and make an impact on Japan-related opportunities for young people
- Invitations to special events during the year with Japan Society, at Japan House London, and more! (optional attendance)
The programme schedule starts with a 2-day summer orientation in August 2023, followed by regular meet-ups twice a month until end of March 2024. Members will work with the Japan Society as well as professionals and cultural experts in Japan-related fields towards a programme finale!
The main structure is:
- Orientation and Month 1 Identify the Collective's specific areas of interest in Japan
- Month 2 - 6 Explore and discover more about these areas together
- Month 7 - 8 Prepare for the programme finale to inspire others
The regular meet-ups include one Collective Catch-up and one Japan Lab each month. Members will also be set tasks to document the process and practise their new skills. For more details about what the Collective will be doing and the programme, see our FAQs.
If you’re passionate about Japan and want to learn more but aren’t sure this is for people like you, we strongly encourage you to apply! This opportunity is specifically for those who are under-represented in this field and we want you to put yourself forward.
Applications are now closed
If you're interested in finding out about future projects, please sign up to The Japan Society mailing list for the latest news and updates.
Japan House London Trust