Tsuyu - The Rainy Season (June)
June is known as the rainy season in Japan, which brings heavy rainfall across much of the country. Although it can be humid and uncomfortable, the rain has many positives too - filling up the rice paddies and making colourful hydrangeas a common sight.
In this lesson, students learn about the weather of Japan and compare it with the UK or their local area. They also find out about the common sights and customs associated with the rainy season.
- To learn about the seasons and weather in Japan and some similarities and differences to the UK.
- To develop knowledge about the customs and crafts inspired by the rainy season in Japan.
- To understand the importance of onomatopoeia, rhymes and folk songs in Japan.
- Students will learn about the weather and understand the importance of the rainy season in Japan
- Students will create their own version of the Japanese craft, Teru Teru Bozu (Sunshine Dolls).
Lesson Plan: Tsuyu Rainy Season (PDF)
Background Notes: Rainy Season (PDF)
PowerPoint Presentation: Rainy Season (PPTX)
Activity Pack: Tsuyu Rainy Days (PDF) - suitable for both classroom and at home learning.