ARCHIVED Sixth Form Japan Day 2023
The Japan Society, in association with Ritsumeikan (UK) and SOAS, University of London, is pleased to once again welcome sixth form students back to another Sixth Form Japan Day.
Tuesday 7 November 2023
10.20am to 4.20pm
*Exact times may be subject to slight changes on the day.
SOAS, University of London
London, WC1H 0XG
Nearest underground station: Russell Square.
For directions to the venue and a PDF campus map please click here
Open to sixth form students only in the UK – free entry.
Students can attend on their own or with teachers.
Booking deadline: 1 November 2023
Please note that booking for this event is now closed.
The day is designed to give insights into aspects of Japan, traditional and modern. It's a great opportunity for all students who are interested in Japan, and especially for those who would like to learn more about Japanese studies (or Japanese alongside other subjects) at universities in the UK.
Programme for the day includes:
• University Exhibition
The day will feature lectures and workshops by SOAS and Ritsumeikan University as well as a University exhibition attended by various universities around the UK offering Japanese studies, both as a major or as an elective. Students will also have the choice of participating in 3 workshops to learn about various aspects of Japanese culture, including a language based workshop led by Japan Foundation London. Some of the elective workshops include:
10.20 - 10.30
Welcome and introduction to the day
10.30 - 11.00
The “Kokoro” Measure: Technology to objectively evaluate and reduce emotional distance with Ritsumeikan University
11.10 - 11.50
12.00 - 12.30
Deceivers and Shapeshifters: Foxes in Japanese Myths, Legends and Folktales with SOAS, University of London
12.30 - 13.20
13.20 - 14.00
14.10 - 15.05
University Student Panel x University Exhibition
15.15 - 15.55
16.05 - 16.20
Closing remarks and Evaluation
*Please note exact times may be subject to slight changes on the day.
Students can attend the event on their own or with teachers; however, they must have permission from school and parents or guardian to attend before booking a place.
>>2023 Booking Form
Please note that booking for this event is now closed
- To confirm your booking, you must read and accept our terms and conditions. Please check the box on the booking form to acknowledge you have read and accept these.
- Places will be issued on a first-come-first served basis. Students may attend on their own or be accompanied by a member of staff.
- Please note that to keep the event open to all, booking is initially limited to 15 places per school. Please inform the Education Team if you wish to bring more students; there is a waiting list for available spaces.
- During the session students will have the opportunity to join 3 workshops. We will ask about workshop preferences in October and try, where possible, to allocate students their chosen workshops, however please note that this may not be possible in all cases.
- This event will be held at SOAS, University of London which has no parking spaces available and alternatives will need to be found. We apologise for any inconvenience.
- Food will not be provided at the event, so we advise teachers and students to bring or buy their own in advance.
Bookings for this event are conditional on completion of the full programme. Failure to attend without cancelling before 1 November 2023 will be subject to a fee of £5 per student, which will be invoiced to your school.
Feedback from past Sixth Form Japan Day
- “Nice to know what Japanese can do for your career and to find out the different ways we can engage with Japan outside of Japanese studies ” Student, Torquay Boys Grammar School
- “I got to know about what to expect in Japan and what to do there.” Student, William Morris Sixth Form College
- “Very eye-opening and taught us how important it is to make our own decisions.” Student, Ashbourne Independent College
- “I enjoyed it very much and it has increased my interest in the Japanese culture.“ Student, ACS International School Cobham