Why Become a Member
In joining the Japan Society you will be part of a community of like-minded individual and corporate members. Your membership supports the Society in its mission to promote understanding and friendship between Japan and the UK through a rich programme of activity in business, arts & culture, lifestyle and education. The Society relies on its members to help us continue providing events and activities that educate and inform audiences of all ages.
Membership is open to all irrespective of age, nationality and background.
Learn more about our membership levels and the benefits of membership below, and participate in our stimulating programme of year-round events oriented towards members’ wide-ranging interests.
All membership packages include:
- Access to over 80 business, academic and cultural events, many with free or discounted entry for members, and priority booking options. Please see Events.
- ‘Members-only’ exhibition/film previews, the Japan Society Annual Dinner and the Annual Address by the British Ambassador to Japan
- Participation in our Monthly Book Club, Bilingual Public Speaking Club and Japanese Conversation Group
- Ability to network with individual and corporate members with an active interest in UK-Japan relations
- Discounts on the Japan Society’s own publications, and exclusive access to our E-Library, including the acclaimed Biographical Portraits series
- Subscription to our magazine Japan Society Review (6 per year) and a copy of our annual publication Proceedings
- Support of our educational outreach activities across schools in the UK, promoting an understanding of Japanese language and culture amongst the next generation
- Support of our small grants programme for grass-root projects aimed at raising awareness of Japanese society and culture throughout the UK
- The opportunity to influence the future direction of the Society by voting at our Annual General Meeting.
- The chance to volunteer! at Japan Society public-facing events such as the annual Japan Matsuri and Tanabata Festival.
If you have any questions please contact our Membership Officer
ONLINE EVENT - Japan Society Film Club: Grave of the Fireflies directed by Isao Takahata
ONLINE EVENT - Japan Society Book Club: Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
In Search of Herbert Ponting in Japan, with author Anne Strathie