Hina-matsuri - The Doll Festival (March)
Hina-matsuri is a festival to celebrate the health and happiness of girls and is celebrated every March. It is common to see public displays of ornamental dolls dressed in Heian-era fashions. This lesson introduces the Doll Festival to students and its associated foods, decorations, and customs.
- To learn about the food, decoration and customs associated with Hina-matsuri; a festival for girls in Japan.
- Hina-matsuri Lesson Plan (PDF)
- Hina-matsuri Teacher's Background Notes (PDF)
- Hina-matsuri Presentation (PPT)
- Activity - Hina Doll Origami Instructions - easy (PDF)
- Activity - Hina Doll Origami Instructions - difficult (PDF)
- Activity - Hina Doll Colouring Page (PDF)
Activity Pack - suitable for classroom and home learning
- Activity - Hina-matsuri Kanji Worksheet (PDF)
- Activity - Japanese Women Profile Worksheet (PDF)
- Video (external resource) - Origami Doll Bookmark Tutorial
- Kamishibai story - Momoko and Hina