O Hanami (April)
Cherry blossoms are considered a symbol of spring in Japan and when the trees are covered in beautiful pink blossoms, people gather together for picnics underneath them, in a tradition known as O Hanami (Cherry Blossom Viewing).
In this lesson, students will learn about the customs and activities associated with O Hanami and compose haiku poems using their own thoughts about spring and nature.
- To learn about the customs and activities associated with O Hanami (Cherry Blossom Viewing) in Japan.
- To identify and discuss seasonal words and ideas about Spring.
- To apply seasonal vocabulary and practise use of the present tense to produce haiku poetry.
- O Hanami Lesson Plan (PDF)
- O Hanami Background Notes (PDF)
- O Hanami Presentation (PPTX)
- Worksheet - Sakura Template (PDF)
- Video - O Hanami in Japan
- Activity Pack - O Hanami Activity Pack - for both in class and home learning!