Kamishibai: Lesson 1
Experience Kamishibai Page
Students will be introduced to kamishibai and listen to the traditional folktale Momotaro (The Peach Boy). They will then make their own story plate, gathering the most important elements of the story all in one place.
Lesson 1 can be used as a standalone lesson for those who don’t have time to follow the whole scheme of work, or for KS1 students. Use the Additional Resources after teaching this lesson to help students make their own kamishibai.
- Develop knowledge about the Japanese storytelling technique, ”Kamishibai.”
- Identify the elements of a story’s structure
- Apply these to a story we listen to.
- L1 Lesson Plan [English Curriculum] - PDF (690 KB)
- L1 Lesson Plan [Scottish Curriculum] - PDF (654 KB)
- Kamishibai Sample Story Plate [for teachers] - PDF (548 KB)
- Worksheet: How to Make Kamishibai - PDF (1.2 MB)
- Worksheet: Example Storyboard [Momotaro] - PDF (254 KB)
- Worksheet: Blank Storyboard Sequence - PDF (260 KB)
- Worksheet: Part Complete Storyboard Sequence - PDF (453 KB)