ARCHIVED ONLINE EVENT - Onigirazu Cook Along
Thursday 29 April 2021 / 6:30pm
Thursday 29 April 2021
6.30pm – 8.00pm (BST)
For countries outside the UK, please use this calculator to check the time in your region.
Free – Booking essential
Priority booking for Japan Society members and their guests
Please note that spaces are limited and early booking is recommended.
THIS EVENT IS FULLY BOOKED
Onigirazu is a modern take on Japanese rice balls or onigiri. Instead of the usual triangle, it is shaped into a flat rectangle, almost like a sandwich. Wrapped in nori seaweed and easily adaptable to whatever filling takes your fancy, onigirazu is easy to make and is perfect for picnics in the spring and summer seasons.
This workshop is led by Izumi Nakamura from Sozai Cooking School
, and participants will learn how to make sushi rice using vinegar as well as the turkey patty filling. Quantities below are sufficient to make 3 onigirazu. There will be a chance to win Mizkan
products for those who attend the event. The details on how to enter will be announced during the workshop.
Participants will need the following ingredients and utensils to cook along during this workshop:
For the rice
• 200g sushi rice *please soak the rice for about 20 minutes before the workshop
• 3 sheets of sushi nori seaweed (full size)
• 4 tbsp rice vinegar
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp sea salt
*alternatively, use pre-made sushi seasoning vinegar (4 tbsp)
For the fillings
• 200g turkey mince or 200g tempeh
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 tbsp Mizkan Honteri or Mirin or Maple syrup
• 1 tbsp grated ginger (optional)
• 2 tsp vegetable or roasted sesame oil
*you will make this filling during the workshop
• 3 eggs (scrambled or sunny side up) or 200g scrambled tofu *precook before the event
• 1 pack green beans, mangetout or asparagus, blanched or 3 Lettuce leaves *precook your choice of greens
• bowl & strainer to wash and drain the sushi rice
• bowl of water to moisten your hands and knife
• bowl or lasagne dish & spatula to mix the sushi rice
• saucepan with a lid to cook the rice
• frying pan to cook mince or tempeh
• knife and chopping board
• jam jar or cup to mix the sushi vinegar
• cling film
Sozai Cooking School
is an established Japanese cookery school with a wide variety of classes from all-time favourites such as sushi and tempura, traditional cuisines such as kaiseki and shojin, casual street foods including ramen noodles and okonomiyaki, to famous wagashi desserts. The school also provides food education programmes designed for different ages, professional chef training, corporate team building sessions, and total business consulting services.
If you have any questions, please call the Japan Society office on 020 3075 1996 or email us at: email@example.com.
In association with:
- You should receive an automated email from the Japan Society to let you know that your booking request has been registered. Please note that your booking is pending while we check your details and you will receive a further email once your booking is confirmed.
- For online events, we will send you the zoom links and details to attend the event closer to the date.
- If you don't receive any confirmation emails or links, please check your spam folder or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This event is fully booked