Children’s Day (May)
Subject: Geography / Other Topics
Level: Key Stage 1 / Key Stage 2
Age: 5-7 years / 7-11 years
Resource Type: Activities / Presentations / Lesson Plans / Videos / Other
The Children’s Day Festival is celebrated on May 5th in Japan every year during the Golden Week holiday. On this day, families pray for the health and happiness of their children. It is called Kodomo no Hi in Japanese.
- To produce creative work, to explore ideas about health and Japanese Children’s Day.
- To improve physical coordination as a warm-up for art and craft activities.
- Children's Day Lesson Plan (PDF)
- Children's Day Background Notes (PDF)
- Children's Day Presentation (PPTX)
Activity Pack - suitable for classroom and home learning
- Video - Children’s Day in Japan
- Activity - Koi Carp (Koinobori) Template (PDF)
- Worksheet - Origami Instructions - Kabuto Samurai Helmet
- Kamishibai story - Swim, Swim, Koinobori New for 2022
- Video - Origami Kabuto Samurai Helmet
- Video - Origami Koi Carp (Koi Nobori)
Japan Society Loan Resources
- Koinobori Flags and Origami paper in Japan Activity Chest