Soroban: Lesson 1
Level: Key Stage 1 / Key Stage 2
Age: 5-7 years / 7-11 years
Resource Type: Presentations / Lesson Plans / Worksheets / Other
Introduction to the Soroban
In the first lesson, students will be introduced to the Japanese abacus and learn how it works.
- To understand what a soroban is and how it is used.
- To understand that a soroban can represent large and small numbers.
- To identify and represent numbers 1-9 on a soroban.
- Soroban Teaching Notes
- Soroban L1: Lesson Plan - PDF (650 KB)
- Soroban L1: Presentation - PPTX (4.9 MB)
- Soroban Worksheet 1 - PDF (212 KB)
- Soroban Worksheet 1 [Answers] - PDF (215 KB)