Japanese Culture and Wellbeing - Lesson 5
In this lesson, students will learn the importance of learning and trying new things as one of the '5 Ways of Wellbeing'. They will explore the links between positive wellbeing and the development of new skills and knowledge through the Japanese art of manga; students will complete a series of drawing tasks and create their own manga character based on a plant.
The extension activities for this lesson can be used to facilitate drawing tasks based on mindfulness, or allow students to develop the idea of a manga character further by creating a mascot for their local area.
- To develop an understanding of why learning new things/new skills improves wellbeing
- To learn about manga and create a plant manga character
- To explore different emotions and facial expressions
- Lesson Plan - Magnificent Manga - PDF (574 KB)
- Presentation - Magnificent Manga - PPTX (3.2 MB)
- Activity Worksheet - Manga Expression Worksheet - PDF (156 KB)
- Teacher's Notes - Manga Key Questions - PDF (1.8 MB)
- Extension Activities - Extension Activities - PPTX (1.2 MB)
The drawing activities in this resource were originally designed by Fumio Obata as part of a Manga for Wellbeing workshop.
Fumio is an illustrator and author of The Garden and Just So Happens.