Japanese Culture and Wellbeing - Lesson 4
Subject: Other Topics
Level: Key Stage 2
Age: 7-11 years
Resource Type: Activities / Presentations / Lesson Plans / Worksheets
In this lesson, students will learn to take notice of the world around them as one of the '5 Ways to Wellbeing'. They will explore the links between nature, mindfulness and mental health by considering Japan’s symbolic cherry blossom.
- To be able to describe cherry blossoms and understand their significance in Japan.
- To learn about the concepts of minfulness, being present and taking notice.
- To create a haiku/practice taking notice of the surrounding world.
- Lesson Plan - Being Mindful with Cherry Blossoms - PDF (630 KB)
- Presentation - Being Mindful with Cherry Blossoms - PPTX (1.7 MB)
- Background Notes (for teachers) - Cherry Blossom Notes - PDF (438 KB)
- Teacher Script - Cherry Blossom Relaxation - PDF (470 KB)
- Video - O-Hanami
- Activity Worksheet - Haiku Worksheet - PDF (211 KB)
- Activity Worksheet Example (for teachers) - Haiku Worksheet with Example - PDF (211 KB)
- Video - How to Haiku: Beyond 5 7 5
For more haiku related lessons and resources, please visit our haiku resources page.