Setsubun - Marking the Arrival of Spring (February)
The Setsubun festival marks the end of winter and the beginning of spring and is celebrated annually in Japan on 3 February. This lesson gives students the chance to learn how children in Japan celebrate the arrival of spring. Alternatively, the Setsubun Festival Activity Pack explains all about Setsubun and includes fun activities for home learning or for extra-curricular sessions at school!
- To learn about the food, decoration and customs associated with the Setsubun Festival.
- To be introduced to the Japanese vocabulary for seasonal food, decorations and customs.
- Setsubun Lesson plan (PDF)
- Setsubun Background Notes (PDF)
- Setsubun Presentation (PPT)
- Vocabulary Challenge & Setsubun Quiz (PDF)
- Setsubun Activity Pack (PDF) - ideal for home learning
- Oni Mask Template (PDF)
- Ready Steady NihonGO! (Lesson 9 Spring)
- Ready Steady NihonGo! Additional Lesson Plan (PDF)
- Flashcards for Ready Steady NihonGo! Lesson - Animals (PDF) / Setsubun Characters (PDF)
Japan Society Loan Resources
- Setsubun Mask in Japan Activity Chest