Setsubun - Marking the Arrival of Spring (February)
Subject: Geography / Other Topics
Level: Key Stage 2
Age: 7-11 years
Resource Type: Activities / Presentations / Lesson Plans / Worksheets / Other
The Setsubun festival marks the end of winter and the beginning of spring and is celebrated annually in Japan on 3 February. This lesson gives students the chance to learn how children in Japan celebrate the arrival of spring.
- To learn about the food, decoration and customs associated with the Setsubun Festival.
- To be introduced to the Japanese vocabulary for seasonal food, decorations and customs.
- Setsubun Lesson plan (PDF)
- Setsubun Background Notes (PDF)
- Setsubun Presentation (PPT)
- Worksheet - Vocabulary Challenge & Setsubun Quiz (PDF)
- Activity - Mask Template (PDF)
- Ready Steady NihonGO! (Lesson 9 Spring)
- Additional Lesson Plan (PDF)
- Flashcards - Animals (PDF) / Setsubun Characters (PDF)
Japan Society Loan Resources
- Setsubun Mask in Japan Activity Chest