New Year’s Celebrations (January)
New Year is the most important holiday in the Japanese calendar and celebrations are very different to those in the UK. This lesson will introduce your students to the New Year celebrations in Japan and the associated foods, decorations, and customs.
- To learn about food, decorations and customs associated with New Year’s in Japan.
- To be introduced to the Japanese vocabulary for seasonal food, decorations and customs.
- New Year Lesson Plan (PDF)
- New Year Teacher's Background Notes (PDF)
- New Year Presentation (PPT)
- New Year Speech Bubbles Template (PDF)
- New Year Card Match (PDF)
- Fukuwarai Game (PDF)
- New Year Card (PDF)
- New Year Card Template (PDF)
- Kite Making Activity (PDF)
- Zodiac Chart (PDF)
- Ready Steady NihonGO! (Lesson 9 Winter)
Japan Society Loan Resources
- Kendama (Ball & Cup) game; Hanetsuki set (Bat & Shuttlecock); Hyakunin Isshu Card Game; Daruma doll; Nengajou (New Year’s Cards; Otoshidama Envelopes; Hiragana Charts in Japan Activity Chest